Legal Aid v Private Defence
Holborn Adams only accepts instructions from privately funded clients. We do not hold a government Legal Aid contract and have no desire to become involved in publicly funded defence, due to the low levels of fees and the limited service generally involved.
Regrettably that means that we cannot assist clients who are unable or unwilling to fund their own defence
Many clients ask us:
“What is the difference between Legal Aid and Private Defence?”
The simple truth is that the two forms of service are worlds apart.
Although most Legal Aid firms will do their best with what they have, their fee levels are so low that it is impossible to offer the service levels of a a high quality private practice like Holborn Adams. In particular, there is virtually no legal aid funding for proactive pre-charge defence to seek to avoid charge. Legal aid defence lawyers only really make money if the client is charged so there is no financial incentive to seek to end the investigation early.
The key differences in service, which Holborn Adams can offer and legal aid firms usually cannot, are these:
- Direct, personal access to a named, qualified solicitor from start to finish – you will not be “palmed off” with a paralegal or clerk after the initial contact with a lawyer
- High level and reassuring professional support when your home or office is searched or you are arrested and interviewed under caution
- Immediate action to overcome the feeling of “treading water” which often comes with a Legal Aid defence
- Guaranteed instruction of a senior barrister or QC, subject to funding levels, including urgent conferences from the day of your call to Holborn Adams
- Conferences, emails and telephone calls with your legal team at your convenience – 24 hours a day / 7 days a week and at a location or venue which suits you or using any form of video (FaceTime / Skype / WhatsApp) or telephone conferencing
- Intensive case analysis and preparation from the moment we take on your case, including taking all relevant instructions, witness statements and documentary evidence
Comprehensive engagement with the police and prosecution authorities before charge, to seek to avoid charges altogether if possible
- Deployment of necessary expert witnesses from the very beginning to fight your case; from medical experts to forensic accountants to full DNA analysis
- Engagement of lawyers or investigators to secure key evidence before it disappears, including CCTV and digital evidence
- Urgent and comprehensive bail, restraint and other legal applications, prepared and presented to the highest possible standard
- For those clients with a sufficient case budget, our Top Tier Defence option, offers personal conduct of your case by Holborn Adams’ Senior Partner, Adam Rasul, and Chris Daw QC; one of the country’s leading specialist criminal and fraud barristers
Holborn Adams offers both hourly rate retainers and “fixed fees” for all stages of a case, from long before charge right through to appeals at the highest level. Fee levels are based on the amount of time needed to do the case properly, its complexity and the seniority of the legal team instructed. Do not hesitate to call Adam Rasul personally on 07967 015 655, and he will discuss the right legal team for you, whatever your budget.
Andrew Ford & Ria Ashcroft worked extensively over a long period of time on our son’s case. At all times Andrew & Ria remained very professional & made themselves available for meetings in person, via zoom & phone calls. We were particularly impressed with their attention to detail, & they always met timescales & followed through on tasks for the case.
We were kept informed at all stages, which at times included contact over a weekend. From the beginning of our contact with Andrew & Ria, we felt we could trust them with the case & believe they truly care about the people they represent. Andrew & Ria showed they cared about our son & our family & remained non-judgemental at all times. Their care while representing our son showed in everything they did. Anyone considering a lawyer for advice or to represent them , we can’t recommend Andrew & Ria & this firm enough.
“I cannot express how helpful and effective the team at Holborn Adams were with their legal advice. As soon as I signed as a client I felt confident I would receive the best possible legal care and they didn’t let me down. Their knowledge, experience and diligence is far greater than any other legal firm I have used previously. Akram was particularly attentive, he kept me updated, answered any questions I had promptly and I genuinely feel as though he and the team cared. I am glad I chose this company and wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them”
I am extremely fortunate I came across Holborn Adams and wholeheartedly appreciate the support and efficiency during critical times. I would like to thank Akram and Faaria for having proficiently represented me and wish them and the rest of the team all the best for the future.
I greatly appreciate all the support and advice that have been provided to me by Holborn Adams.
Akram and Faaria have always been on hand and accessible to give professional and sympathetic advice. They always respond promptly to my emails and texts and nothing is too much of hassle for them. I always enjoy conversations that I have with them and find them reassuring in the time of stress that I am going through.
Adam and Chris are very professional and confident. I am glad I have them on my side under the stressful circumstances that I found myself in.
I would recommend Holborn Adams to anyone in need of legal assistance. Thank you again
Thank you Akram, your advice really helped. I’m very confident now that we can walk away from this without me being placed into custody. I appreciate the advice and guidance you have shown me. Thank you sir.
During this most difficult time, I found that having Holborn & Adams on my team was a great support. Their professional advice helped me greatly throughout.
Dear Akram, thank you for the chat today. It’s really helped. You have such a reassuring nature, whilst also being realistic. It’s helped settle my mind massively, so thank you.
We’ve just recently started working with your team and I must say I wish we had come across them earlier and hopefully the wait wouldn’t be so long. I’m happy with Andrew and Faaria. They always keep us up to date on everything and work fast.
I believe the case is now in good hands. We are extremely grateful. So once again Thank you to your team.
Thank you so much for all your help, this news is welcome beyond belief.
I would like to thank yourself especially, but also backed up by Alicia for the timely, sensitive, proactive and highly skilled advice and guidance given. You left no stone unturned which I believe was crucial to the successful outcome of the case. The stress our family has been under has been immense but you have acted with such humanity and compassion it’s made a very difficult time more bearable, and I really thank you for that.
I spent a lot of time researching and talking to other solicitors before committing to yourself. This decision to choose yourself was based on my feeling that you understood the wider picture and nuances of the case and would give 100% which you did.
Thank you once more, you have helped change our lives immeasurably for the better.
Just wanted to let you know that I finally received the letter from DBS and I’m not going to be barred! I’m so relieved. Please note I realise this was all down to your hard work of which I will be forever grateful. Please accept my wholeheartedly appreciated efforts on your part. I wish you all the best for the future.