Legal Aid v Private Defence
Holborn Adams only accepts instructions from privately funded clients. We do not hold a government Legal Aid contract and have no desire to become involved in publicly funded defence, due to the low levels of fees and the limited service generally involved.
Regrettably that means that we cannot assist clients who are unable or unwilling to fund their own defence
Many clients ask us:
“What is the difference between Legal Aid and Private Defence?”
The simple truth is that the two forms of service are worlds apart.
Although most Legal Aid firms will do their best with what they have, their fee levels are so low that it is impossible to offer the service levels of a a high quality private practice like Holborn Adams. In particular, there is virtually no legal aid funding for proactive pre-charge defence to seek to avoid charge. Legal aid defence lawyers only really make money if the client is charged so there is no financial incentive to seek to end the investigation early.
The key differences in service, which Holborn Adams can offer and legal aid firms usually cannot, are these:
- Direct, personal access to a named, qualified solicitor from start to finish – you will not be “palmed off” with a paralegal or clerk after the initial contact with a lawyer
- High level and reassuring professional support when your home or office is searched or you are arrested and interviewed under caution
- Immediate action to overcome the feeling of “treading water” which often comes with a Legal Aid defence
- Guaranteed instruction of a senior barrister or QC, subject to funding levels, including urgent conferences from the day of your call to Holborn Adams
- Conferences, emails and telephone calls with your legal team at your convenience – 24 hours a day / 7 days a week and at a location or venue which suits you or using any form of video (FaceTime / Skype / WhatsApp) or telephone conferencing
- ntensive case analysis and preparation from the moment we take on your case, including taking all relevant instructions, witness statements and documentary evidence
Comprehensive engagement with the police and prosecution authorities before charge, to seek to avoid charges altogether if possible
- Deployment of necessary expert witnesses from the very beginning to fight your case; from medical experts to forensic accountants to full DNA analysis
- Engagement of lawyers or investigators to secure key evidence before it disappears, including CCTV and digital evidence
- Urgent and comprehensive bail, restraint and other legal applications, prepared and presented to the highest possible standard
- For those clients with a sufficient case budget, our Top Tier Defence option, offers personal conduct of your case by Holborn Adams’ Senior Partner, Adam Rasul, and Chris Daw QC; one of the country’s leading specialist criminal and fraud barristers
Holborn Adams offers both hourly rate retainers and “fixed fees” for all stages of a case, from long before charge right through to appeals at the highest level. Fee levels are based on the amount of time needed to do the case properly, its complexity and the seniority of the legal team instructed. Do not hesitate to call Adam Rasul personally on 07967 015 655, and he will discuss the right legal team for you, whatever your budget.
“I happened across Holborn Adams by a stroke of luck, or fate. I am so grateful and thankful that I did, as the support, help and advice I received from day one of engaging with them, and throughout the whole ordeal has been a blessing.
I was falsely accused by an ex partner of serious accusations. I had previously appointed another firm who, it seemed, were happy for my case to go trial. Some time had passed under the guidance (or lack of) my previous solicitor, and the trial was drawing closer and closer. I knew something wasn’t right with my previous representations so I looked elsewhere and appointed HA.
From the very first meeting I knew I was in safe hands. Both Adam and Simon are true professionals in their field and know the law inside out. They helped close down my case, meaning there was no trial. We worked together to gather evidence which proved to close the case down. 12 months ago my world was bleak, I felt a tremendous amount of pressure and stress, however every appointment I had with Simon/Adam helped to reassure me and took away many of my concerns. I couldn’t recommend HA highly enough. If you are facing similar issues, give them a call immediately, you won’t regret that decision.”
When my partner was wrongfully arrested it felt like my world had collapsed around me. I was alone, fearful and lost. The rumours circulating affected my health and my business as people believed what the police were saying. The constant contact and reassurance from Holborn Adams, who were always there and willing to help, enabled me to carry on and thankfully we are now out of the other side.
Nobody listens and nobody cares when you face something like this. But Holborn Adams do – they put their clients best interests at heart.
Thank you so much to all at Holborn Adams, especially Simon Kups and Adam Rasul.
I am writing to express my appreciation for the help, advice and support me and my family received from Holborn Adams during my wrongful arrest last year.
I was at a real low with the false allegations against me and the unwillingness of the police to look at alternative facts and evidence. Having you in my corner, to keep my spirits up when I was imprisoned and things were looking bleak, helped stop me from going under. The fact that you were there for me and my family at all hours, always willing to advise, is and always will be, appreciated more than words can express. I would recommend you to anyone suffering injustice or finding themselves on the wrong side of the law.
As part of a team, you, Adam and Matthew were all patient, friendly and professional providing an environment where in the most dire of circumstances there is a reassurance that a team is working to reach the best very outcome on your behalf. Importantly the human touch of support that is so critical in times of crisis never lapsed. I have no hesitation in recommending Holborn Adams with the strongest voice to anyone for high quality legal representation and a team who are dedicated to the very best outcome for their client.
In a time of crisis the initial phone call with Adam was exactly what was needed; calm reassurance with precise legal instructions that he made sure I understood in my emotive chaos. The step by step guide of how the arrest process would proceed and clear do and do nots as well as the traps not to fall into was absolutely invaluable as I had no knowledge or prior experience of the criminal justice system. I now understand due to the nature of the criminal justice system how critical and vital it is to have good quality legal advice at the earliest opportunity.
We made the best decision in choosing Holborn Adams to represent our son and we would have no hesitation in recommending Holborn Adams or using the Firm again if ever we needed to.
I would like to say a huge thank you for all your time and effort which has led to a very positive outcome. Your friendly, down to earth and non judgmental approach was much appreciated.
I would like to thank Natasha, Adam and Chris for the excellent job they did on my case. I really appreciate it and feel that without their input this wouldn’t have been a positive result.
Guy Williams, Senior Clerk 25 Bedford Row
Adam Rasul is a tremendously impressive and affable lawyer whom I would not hesitate to recommend for any corporate or financial crime matter.